Schader was an important Swiss architect of the post-war modernism, and his masterpiece, the school complex Freudenberg in the Enge neighborhood in Zurich, was the first new development of a high school since 1909. The NZZ (New Zurich Newspaper) called Freudenberg the Acropolis of Zurich. Designated headmaster Max Allenspach who readily contributed to the development of a new school concept, became a congenial partner to Schader’s vision of a transparent, open and light-filled school.
Born 1917 in Basel, studied at School of Art in Basel, 1939-43 study of architecture at ETH Zurich, after 1946 self-employed and foundation of own studio. 1948-1953 editor for “Bauen und Wohnen”, realisation of architecturally ground-breaking projects like the Freudenberg high school, trade school complex for Brown, Boverie & Cie and an apartment complex in Spreitenbach. Prize winner of several awards. Starting 1960, professorship at ETH, worked in research, was an appraiser and juror. Deceased 2007 in Zurich.